Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Inversion


Today I am thankful for the inversion.  That’s kind of a big deal for me because usually I really, really, really, REALLY hate the inversion.  But today while I was driving to work, I had a pretty sweet learning experience. 
The view of the inversion from Little Cottonwood Canyon.
The inversion is a like a big blanket that covers the valley I live in. It settles in during the winter, and it seems to drag on forever!  Between storms, warm air fronts trap the the cold air (and all the pollution) in the valley. It makes everything hazy.  It hides the blue sky and makes the sun seem so far away.  It makes me feel like there’s a dark cloud over my heart.  The only thing that clears the inversion is a storm.  The snow and wind break up the inversion.  The snow isn’t my favorite either – it’s cold and wet and miserable!  But, when the storm is over, everything becomes clear!  The blue skies come into full view, the sun shines bright and intense, and the dark cloud over my heart goes away almost instantly!   

Today I thought about the inversion and related it to the veil.  The other side of the veil is just as real and just as close as the sky is blue - we just can't see it!  But there are times in our lives, usually after trials, when that veil seems to thin out and we catch glimpses of the other side.  When we endure our trials, Heavenly Father has a chance to clear the haze and shine even brighter in our lives.   

I’m so thankful for the gospel and the application it has in my everyday life.  I’m thankful for a Father in Heaven who was willing to teach me.  I’m especially thankful for what I was taught today and the opportunity I had to think about the inversion a little differently.  Maybe it will help me to hate it a little less. 

No comments: