Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Those times when someone else can put into words the way you are feeling

I'm not political. I don't participate in political debates - mostly because I'm not passionate about politics. I don't complain, I don't advertise my support or approval for one candidate over another. I don't get wrapped up in issues that the rest of world feels the need to fight about. It's not worth it to me.

However, I've been a little upset about the current Chick-fil-a situation. In an interview, the CEO of Chick-fil-a said that he supports the biblical definition of marriage. Everyone has totally blown his comments out of proportion and a lot of people in an uproar because Chick-fil-a is "anti-gay." Today was designated as "support your local Chick-fil-a because they don't support gay marriage day." (It wasn't really called that, but that's basically the idea). Normally I wouldn't think twice about a situation like this, but I thought about it all day. I have had a really hard time trying to figure out just why the whole thing bothers me. I loved the way one of my friends expressed her feelings for the situation. She said, "I feel a little sad today. I feel like half the nation needs the same reminder I give my 4 year old - it's okay to disagree or be upset, just do it without being mean or calling names."

I have my own beliefs about marriage, and those will be my beliefs regardless of anything anyone could say about it. I totally understand that other people have different beliefs. And that's okay. And just because they may believe something different, that doesn't mean I will love them any less. They are still my brothers and sisters and they are still Heavenly Father's children. And we can disagree about something without being mean and without calling names!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I love the title of this post. I love when that happens.